Bylaw Enforcement / Animal Control

The Bylaw Enforcement / Animal Control Officer responds to bylaw related issues: Dogs (Animal Control), Noise Bylaw, various Policies and Bylaws as directed by Municipal Council, as well as assists the Administrator for Dangerous and Unsightly Premises. Through education, we aim to make our Municipality a safer place for the residents, employees and properties within the County.

The following County Bylaws are enforced through issuance of Summary Offence Tickets:

C8Alternative Voting Bylaw
A4 Cat Bylaw
S10 Civic Address Bylaw
C6 Commercial Activity on Municipal Property Bylaw

A1 Dog Bylaw
A2 Livestock at Large Bylaw
P1 Mobile Home Bylaw
S5 Noise Bylaw
S1 Waste Management Bylaw

If you have questions about…
  • Dog Registration (County residents have the option to register their dog on a volunteer basis for a one-time fee of $25.00. The registration can be transferred to a subsequent dog, with the registration information updated. A fee of $5.00 is required for a replacement tag. If your dog has been picked up by Animal Control a tag must be purchased before it will be released.
  • Trap-Neuter-Return Program  Click Here
  • Lost and Found Dogs and Cats  Click Here
  • Noise - Please refer to our S5 Noise Bylaw
  • Neighbours livestock out of fence - Please refer to our A2 Livestock At Large Bylaw
  • S1 Waste Management Bylaw - Illegal dumping, sorting or collection date in your area; feel free to contact us or Valley Waste Resource Management at 1-877-927-8300
  • Dangerous & Unsightly Premises - Please refer to our A.M. 1.4.15 Dangerous and Unsightly Premises Policy

If you are having a problem with raccoons or other wildlife, contact NS Natural Resources and Renewables at 902-584-2229.

Bylaw Enforcement Officers are available between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday except holidays. Emergency after-hours services for fierce and dangerous or injured animals is available between 4:30 p.m. and 8:30 a.m. by calling the 902-532-8407 or 902-955-0855 and leaving a message - calls will be checked periodically. Messages may be left outside of regular hours regarding non-emergency matters which will be responded to during regular working hours.

Bylaw Enforcement / Animal Control Officers are not available evenings or weekends but if the situation is an emergency (a serious situation or occurrence that happens unexpectedly and demands immediate action), please call RCMP and your information will be forwarded to a Bylaw Enforcement / Animal Control Officer.

Cruelty concerns/complaints such as abandonment, neglect or abuse must be reported to the Provincial SPCA Office at 902-835-4798 or toll-free 1-888-703-7722 or